Annual Education Report timeline for last year
has been determined for 2019-2020!
For the past several years, the Michigan Department of Education (MDE) has required districts and schools to communicate Annual Education Reports (AERs) to parents and the community in August, before the start of the school year, to fulfill requirements under the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA). The Annual Education Reports (AERs) are typically required before school starts. The 2017-2018 AER report was delayed until Winter 2018-2019. The MDE recently communicated the following timelines:
The detailed AER information on the left has a 2018-19 power point to guide users who are unfamiliar with the process developed by the state. For a quick reminder, use the picture below with the three steps.
Steps to Complete the AER
1) Update the NEW Cover Letters linked below
Districts: District Letter 2019-2020
Schools: School Letter 2019-2020
2) Log-in to MI School Data
3) Download the "Combined Report" for school or district (or for every school and the district).
4) Upload the NEW Cover Letter and Combined Report to your district and school website between Dec 13, 2019 and Jan 31, 2020. The link to such reports must be within one click of the home page.
Click to enlarge image.
This year’s AER encompasses several ESSA reporting requirements including:
- English language proficiency of English Learners
- Recently arrived English Learners exempted from an English Language Arts assessment
- Participation on MI-Access assessment
- Information from the Civil Rights Data Collection
- Progress towards the state’s long-term accountability goals
- Inexperienced educators
- Educators with emergency/provisional credentials
- Educators not teaching in the subject/field of their certification/licensure
- School improvement funding amounts
- Several additional subgroups including homeless students, foster children, and military-connected students